Steinway 45 upright

Wolfley, Eric (wolfleel) WOLFLEEL@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:12:20 -0400

While we're on this bridge-pin subject again...I tune and service the C&A
Steinway D for the Cincinnati Symphony and the regular trail of soloists
that come through. This piano is just a couple of years old and is beginning
to drive me crazy with its Jeckle/Hyde tendencies. During the moist months
it has a big, round clear tone but as soon as it begins to dry out it
reverts a devilish false beat capo noise monster. Unfortunately, most of the
concerts are during the dry months and there is no hope of any climate
control. The soloists all like this piano but it drives me nuts and I'm
constantly trying to clean and sweeten up the capo sections without losing
any power. I've tried pounding the bridge pins in and moving the strings
around and this has had some effect, but its getting harder and harder to
clean it up. I remember past discussions about wicking CA glue down around
the bridge pins and wouldn't hesitate to try it on a practice room piano
(hmm, I think I'll try that right now) but I'm wondering how many people out
there are successfully using this technique on concert instruments.

Eric

Eric Wolfley
Head Piano Technician
Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music
University of Cincinnati