Steinway "pinning" dilemma

Thu, 09 Oct 2003 02:15:02 +0200

Fred Sturm writes:

> Unless action centers are nearly frozen, theircontribution to measured DW (or friction
> calculated from DW and UW) is well
> within 5 grams. As Don Mannino noted in an earlier post, he finds increasing
> hammershank center friction from zero to (I think it was) 4 grams increases DW
> by only 1.5 grams, which sounds about right.
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm
> University of New Mexico

Which brings us back to the starting point of this thread... how did a change in hammer shank
center result in a signifantly larger proportional change in DW ? Unless something else was
done, there is a mystery here to be solved. Didnt Jim say all he did was change centers and
DW went from 50 to 70 ?

RicB

--
Richard Brekne