Steinway "pinning" dilemma

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 14:30:42 -0600

Hi Alan,
=20
Ditto what Mark Said. Eric doesn't use swing tests at all.
=20
Jim
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Alan McCoy
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 10:42 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: RE: Steinway "pinning" dilemma
=20
Jim,
=20
I am glad to hear of your positive experience with Eric. That is always
welcome. When they recommend 1-4 g friction, that is a large range, so I
assume that that means ~4 grams in the bass tapering to ~1g in the
treble. How does this translate into the swing test for your pianos in
question? 10 swings?=20
=20
I like RicB's comment  "I prefer to deal with hammer weight from a
leverage standpoint." So S&S has decided to use a heavier hammer and
make touchweight specs through reduced friction. Did you ask Eric why
they would choose to use friction instead of leverage to get touchweight
to the range they prefer? I don't mean to be presumptuous here, it just
seems a curious decision when, as a manufacturer, they have ultimate
control over that.=20
=20
Alan McCoy
=20