Steinway "pinning" dilemma

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Tue, 07 Oct 2003 12:58:07 -0500

Jim,

  I am glad to hear of your positive experience with Eric. That is always
welcome. When they recommend 1-4 g friction, that is a large range, so I
assume that that means ~4 grams in the bass tapering to ~1g in the treble.
How does this translate into the swing test for your pianos in question? 10
swings?

  Actually Alan,

  1-4g friction is the standard for each flange, and is one of two pass/fail
tests "each" flange is subject to at the manufacturing stage:

  1.) the friction test (w/guage)

  2.) travel test against a square

  Accepting a flange with 22 swings (though firm in the bushing) is a bit of
a paradigm shift for everyone, but I'm giving it due consideration, in light
of great strides we are seeing in quality overall.

  Regarding Eric Schandall, I couldn't imagine time being spent with Eric as
being anything but positive. We've enjoyed him so much in the past as an
enthusiastic and knowledgeable instructor, my congratulations to Steinway
for snapping him up!

  Mark Cramer,
  Brandon University