Steinway hammers/time

Sat, 04 Oct 2003 10:13:15 +0200

Allen Wright wrote:

> Ric,
>
> Mostly what I'm curious about is why all of a sudden I can't get a needle
> in, three years on - and actually, it didn't happen until the humidity
> recently dropped 20% or so (maybe more) in the hall, with a spell of drier
> fall weather here, and a little bit of heat on. I didn't have any trouble
> getting the needle in during the high humidity this summer.

Hmmm... this is the opposite of what I generally experience... perhaps it might be a
combination of factors. I rarely run into lacquered hammers on new pianos for one
thing.  Maybe something about felt and some amount of soaking in laquer causes your
problem when it gets dry. I cant say I've experienced such an quick "overnite"
reaction in anycase. Interesting :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.