Steinway "pinning" dilemma

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 03 Oct 2003 07:39:41 -0600

Hi Don,
	I agree that for most purposes, 8 grams of friction in a shank would be
excessive. I should have qualified the number:
1) Only on high use grands
2) with heavy-ish hammers
3) bass to tenor area
4) when  done during high end of humidity cycle
5) in conjunction with application of Protek
6) with a cross check of minimum three swings
	I have found a fairly rapid drop in friction after re-pinning, somewhat
similar to drop in torque when stringing, where after two to three months
(granted, of heavy use, and possibly drop in humidity), friction will drop
by at least a couple grams, and number of swings will increase from three
to five, from four to seven, or so. In a sense, what I am doing is
"floating" frictional parameters - making it too tight to begin with so it
will be right longer. And removing as little felt as possible to preserve
the bushings as long as possible. I typically use 3 to 5 grams for home or
low use. And maybe my dry climate and low air pollution has a big effect on
efficacy of these parameters.
	I do use a commonly available set of tools known as "Mannino broaches"
(hmmm, maybe some relative of yours, Don <g>), and rough up the felt as
little as possible, in conjunction with solid burnishing. BTW, I have found
those broaches can vary quite a bit. I bought two sets over time, one for
home, one for school, and the first set was great. The second had extreme
roughness in the cuttin area - real deep spirals. Not hard to get around. I
just made my own rough spots a little down the wire, and don't get into the
pre-made rough. But it may be something to watch for. Also, the same second
set had nasty burrs by the sharpened end, so that it would cut felt while
being inserted in the bushing (easily removed with a file or sandpaper).
	As long as I'm on the subject, I like to replace the rather bulky handles
with home made ones out of 1/8" dowel. This is plenty of handle for the
purpose, and allows me to carry the set with me in a very compact kit made
of a small square of firm corrugated cardboard - just press the broaches
through the corrugations (don't insert in the corrugation holes, go cross
wise and puncture each corugation). The square goes with my nice new
pinning tool by Mike Calahan (boy is it nice to have zero wobble/side play.
Definitely my favorite purchase from the Dallas convention) and pin nippers
into a small pouch made of mackintosh.
	One more thought: I sure wish there were two more sizes in these broach
kits - up to 22 1/2 centerpin (.055). And I sure wish action makers would
revert to starting off with 19 centerpins, instead of 20.5 or so.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico

--On Tuesday, September 30, 2003 7:49 PM -0700 Don Mannino