bobbling hammers, again

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 10:27:30 -0400

Hi Wim,
There is one other inconsistency I have seen with my S&S grands that I
haven't seen mentioned.  That is the firmness of the backcheck felt.  I've
found on some of my pianos that a hammer which won't check and appears to
be geometrically identical to it's neighbors will either have a firmer or
softer backcheck.

I encountered this problem on our performance D the other day on a mid
treble hammer.  The backcheck was particularly spongy compared to its
neighbors and the hammer just bounced right off.

Jeff