pics of my bushing tools (mortises)

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 22 May 2003 14:31:18 +0200

Ed,

enough hot hide glue to make 2 or 3 keys (one side at once) is applied
on the end of the felt (not the pointed part).
Then the tool is inserted, the end of the felt is pulled out of the
side of the capsule till only a very little piece stand up (to be cut
flush later) I cut the protuberant side without trying to cut it clean
immediately, it will be cleaner (and faster) if cut after the glue
have set.
While working with a very few movements the serial is fast to be made.

I use not too long pieces of bushing cloth 6' long may be, prepared
before the job begin.

When the glue have set I cut flush the sides with a good wood chisel,
as the protuberant top, cut from the inside to the outside to avoid
fluffing the edges.

Et voila ! the first time I used this method, took me 1:45 to glue the
set, the next it took me 1:30 -with the 2 sides together method, one
hour more was due because more moves and manipulations at each new
key.

Some use fish glue for bushing work, I'll give a try, it can be
spreaded on more felt, as it allows for some time before gelling.

I am so used to hot hide now that I am reluctant to change, fish glue
smells strong, too ! but I like it for damper and key end felt jobs.

Hope that help !

Best wishes.

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.