pics of my bushing tools (mortises)

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 22 May 2003 01:00:54 +0200

Hello Greg,

Better feel, longer lasting, accurate length, less and more even
friction ,cleaner termination (the edges of the felt are not always as
neat as we like)

The angle also ad some stiffness

Try it once and compare, the difference is felt, particularly on nice
pianos.

As the trouble is very small (what is 30 min more on a job ?) I can't
see any reason for not doing so.

The way to glue with the little eye have been shown by a friend, who
do a lot of keyboard work, he usually plan 6 hours work to obtain a
complete keyboard made, sides cleaned, ivories buffed, (but not
sanded) stack cleaned, keys working.

Before knowing his method (2 cauls method) I used a shreader made by
Jahn that allow to insert the felt all along the capsule, then it is
pushed from below with a small rod.
This method is nice, but it takes me 2:30 and it use almost twice
bushing strip, while with the little eyelet, a very little felt is
lost.

Beside, I feel proud to put things back as it was originally, and I've
seen numerous  bushing jobs lasting less because no insertion.

Before knowing any of these methods/tools, I did not worry about that,
and I first imagined that it was a hard and tedious task to do so.

As many other task when we learn/find the most appropriate method for
ourselves, turns to be simpler and faster.

Another thought, about bushing material , we use to consider that the
only "real" good bushing felt is the one with the little white inside
(traditional bushing material as on Kluge keyboards ). It appears that
we have quality problems on this material too, and that a very decent
one can be find from Japan, with a nylon weave(?) inside, it seem to
hold longer than the traditional one.

Different quality exist in that Japanese bushing material too, so not
all are equal, The address is coming soon, I just used a few 1.2 mm
thick that was given to me. My friend work for a 250 instruments
school, and produce 60-70 bushing jobs/year that he can see evolving
very soon, so I tend to trust him.

Best of greetings !
Thanks for your comments.

Isaac OLEG