info for a journalist

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 21 May 2003 17:20:40 EDT

Kent writes:

>> Why 88 keys on a piano?

  Because 85 wasn't enough
   Actually, the 88 represents a logical stopping point, given the ear's
range of useable frequencies.  Few can hear below 27 Hz and going above 4180
Hz would mean you rapidly run out of human's ability to hear more than the
fundamental. C88's second partial is 8,360 Hz and that is almost beyond
meaningful to the majority of listeners.  Adding more notes would require at
least several, (why would we stop on Eb??)  It would also make the instrument
too large to manage by the normal armspan.

>> How many pianos are there in the world?
   Lots and lots
>> How many pianos are there in the U S?
just lots