Yamaha GH-1

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Tue, 20 May 2003 13:48:47 -0400

Hi Fred,
Yes, you're right that the G series and the C series were simultaneous for
quite a long time, but I don't think that was so for the 5'3 and the 5'8".
I was doing a little contract work for a Yamaha dealer in 1995 when the C1
and C2 were introduced as new models, replacing the G1 and G2.  I was told
there were some changes, but if there were they were slight.  The GH1 had
already been on the market alongside the G1 as a less expensive option.  I
had never heard of a C1 or C2 prior to that time, but then, I never
understood why the model numbers had started with C3.  I always understood
that the Conservatory designation only applies to model numbers C3 and
above, and that the C1 and C2 weren't actually considered members of the
Conservatory series when they were introduced ("Conservatory" is not
stamped on the plate of the C1 and C2, unless that's changed in the last 8
years).  I've gotten lost in the model numbers since then.   I remember
that the G3 and C3 were both available simultaneously, though I can only
recall servicing a couple of G3's and they were built in the 1970s, so I
don't know when they were phased out.

This is one of the things which frustrates me about Yamaha.  There are at
least 3 quality levels (now perhaps 4 with the Indonesian model) with so
many crossover sizes and confusing model number changes, you really have to
know the history and the model lines inside out to know what quality level
of instrument you're getting when you buy a piano with Yamaha on the
fallboard.

Along those lines, has anybody ever seen an S4 or an S6?  Does Yamaha still
make them?
Jeff