standards

Richard West rwest1@unl.edu
Tue, 13 May 2003 10:57:35 -0500

Thank you all for your input on this thread.  It's helped me realize
that what I'm seeking is to conduct a little survey for those of you who
are interested.  I'd like to ask you to perform a little experiment.
 Next time you tune a concert grand (and only a concert grand), pay
particular attention to the 3rds, 10ths,and 17ths and how they compare
to each other.  Record your responses to the questions below, and email
them to me privately.  Here are the questions:

1.  I tune my 10ths and 17ths so that they all beat equally. (yes/no)

2.  I expand the 10th & 17ths (yes/no)

If the answer is yes to #2, complete the following:

1.  speed of the 10ths compared to temperament thirds, what temperament
third is equal to the 10th that you're tuning? (here's an example,
C#3-F4 = G3-B3).  Please give me all of the 10th/temperament third
comparisons for the octave notes above the temperament

2.  speed of the 17ths compared to temperament thirds, what temperament
third is euqal to the 17th that you're tuning? (example, C#3-F5 =
A3-C#4).  Please give me all of the 17th and temperament third
comparisons for the notes an octave above the temperament

The examples I gave above are hypothetical to demonstrate the type of
information I want you to report. The information you send me will end
at F6.  That's all the information I want for now.   If you have
questions, email me.

Thanks

Richard West