standards

Mary Smith MarySmith@mail.utexas.edu
Mon, 12 May 2003 17:53:53 -0500

>Richard:
>
>I think I understand what you're getting at here, but is this not
>trying to fully objectify art (and I mean that as a sincere question,
>as I don't really know)?
>
>dave

Dave -

You have come close to my individual take on this tuning discussion,
which, while interesting, can't even come close to describing the
myriad tiny decisions and compensations we all make while we're
tuning - especially concert tuning a fine piano. What we do is an
inseparable blend of art and science. That is why it is so much fun,
no? The science part will only get us so far, and the last 10% or so
is the artistic part.

Mary