standards

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 12 May 2003 09:03:03 -0600

	I don't have my manual in front of me, but my recollection is that the
term "2 : 1" was deleted in at least the latest version in favor of
something like "clean single octaves." This has never been presented as a
standard to tune by. ETSC has always acknowledged that there is a wide
range of acceptable tuning styles for the top of the piano, and chose to
test based on something most people could agree on (ie, they could agree
that the octaves in question were clean, single octaves or weren't). THe
theory is that any tuner should be able to hear and produce that standard.
	I can't say I have ever been entirely comfortable with this standard. I
think it is easier to hear clean double octaves in that area, myself (less
liable to being obscured by false beats and distortion), and that would be
closer to what tuners in the field do. But given the lenient "error range"
in the outer reaches, someone who tunes clean double octaves (well) would
almost certainly pass with high marks.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico