standards

Phil Bondi tito@philbondi.com
Sun, 11 May 2003 12:06:35 -0400

Richard:

> I had two reasons for starting this thread:  1)  The PTG exam is based
> on clean 2:1 octaves, which is fine, but I don't like the results, and I
> don't tune that way.  I'm wondering if others agree or not, 2)

The PTG Exam, to my understanding, is set up that way because there has to
be a standard in which the examiners can fairly evaluate..and..to make sure
that you, the testee, understands what is required. You don't have to like
the results..that's not what the test is about..it's about understanding
what is required and for the examiners to have a base to evaluate.

To further comment on your questions, in a nutshell: In my opinion, the
larger and better scaled the piano, the more options you have for stretching
and narrowing, depending on taste. Now also coming into play here is
Historical Temperaments which, on some less than desirable pianos, sound
much better than a Equal Temperament. If the piano in question doesn't have
any complaints from the player, then essentially we've done our job.

We as technicians tend to tweek beyond what might be considered 'the norm'
because our ear at the time might be suggesting that we tweek...or our past
experiences dictate that 'doing it this way' will make the instrument sound
as good as it can sound.

There's an awful lot of variables involved with your questions. I feel only
experience can give you the desired results that you are looking for.
Knowing what to evaluate in a given situation and how to perform the task
involved requires experience, patience, and a hint of musicality.

Richard, I don't know your experience level, so I hope these comments don't
seem like I am talking down to you in any way. This is how I perceived the
questions asked, and how I chose to respond.

-Phil Bondi (Fl.)
phil@philbondi.com