That dadgumed short SD-10

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 08 May 2003 13:11:54 -0600

Greg,
	That's what's happening around here, as well. Our major piano prof is a
lowrider - has his own bench at about 15 1/2 inches. Has rubbed off on
quite a few students. But he's mild compared to our
sometimes-resident-in-Albuquerque pianist Awadagin Pratt (likely familiar
mostly for his amazing set of dread-locks), who sits on his own bench at
what looks like 12 to 14 inches. Kind of hard to accomodate. A few years
back it was the opposite, with people grabbing our one 20 inch adjustable
(an old Steinway, with wood screw legs - creak, creak), and wanting it to
be higher.
	Last weekend we had a custom bench on stage designed and built by a German
architect friend of our main piano prof. I didn't get a real close look at
it, but it seemed adjustable between 12 inches and about 21. Maybe he'll
market the design to somebody.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico