standards (short)

Robert A. Murphy murphyr@msu.edu
Thu, 08 May 2003 13:06:21 -0400

Hi Richard, Ed, Fred et al,

Many good points on 4ths, 5ths, 10ths, 17ths, bass & treble
stretching...  Perhaps one only too obvious, but, never-to-be-assumed
"trite" interval which I find the most elusive to control as a technician
and the one by which all the other intervals are judged by performer and
listener, alike, is the UNISON.

The more concert work I do - whether tuning for artists and concert goers
in the Lincoln Center, Orchestra Hall [Chicago], Myerson Center [Dallas],
to University faculty or guest artist recitals and master classes, to
studio recordings... all the way to Mr. Cornwell's beginning Suzuki studio
recitals - the more I focus on having absolutely crystal clear, rock-solid
unisons as my primary objective from first note to last of the
performance.  The amount of time I'm allowed over and above achieving that
goal is used to design and fill out a more colorful and intricate tuning to
best express what a given piano is capable of.

Just a thought.  Back to the practice room dungeons for end-of-the-semester
dunging out!

Best,
Robert

Robert A. Murphy
Piano Technician                        pager  517.232.0229
Michigan State University            office  517.355.3370
E.Lansing , MI 48824                  e-mail:  murphyr@msu.edu