That dadgumed short SD-10

Alan McCoy amccoy@mail.ewu.edu
Wed, 07 May 2003 14:17:39 -0700

Recently I've worked with a number of pianists who complained of keyboards
too high relative to bench height. Since then I have been measuring all the
concert instruments here and around town. Top of keys to floor for Steinways
always hovers around 29 inches, while Baldwins are around 28 inches. These
pianos are mostly on trucks, but not all are. Bench heights (maxed out) are
19" which is still too low for quite a few pianists here and some visiting
artists also.

Alan McCoy
  -----Original Message-----
  From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Delwin D Fandrich
  Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 12:03 PM
  To: College and University Technicians
  Subject: Re: That dadgumed short SD-10

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Wimblees@aol.com
    To: caut@ptg.org
    Sent: May 07, 2003 8:38 AM

    In a message dated 5/7/03 10:18:58 AM Central Daylight Time,
edoss@utm.edu writes:

    Elwood

    You cannot eliminate the bow in the truck. I tried what you whant to do
on the truck in the concert hall, and it didn't solve the problem. Besides,
1 1/4" is a lot. I don't think the keybed height can be attributed to the
bowed truck. I think the Baldwin probably had larger casters when it was
new, that made the keybed higher. But maybe Baldwin's are lower than
Steinways. I don't know.

  It may have had....but, if memory serves, a distance of 28" from the floor
to the tops of the keys was the design standard for these pianos. I don't
ever recall measuring one but do recall being told this during a meeting of
the engineering staff.

  Del