That dadgumed short SD-10

RPT alan.crane@wichita.edu
Wed, 07 May 2003 11:57:48 -0500

On Wednesday 07 May 2003 10:38 am, Wim Blees wrote:
> Elwood
>
> You cannot eliminate the bow in the truck.

Hi Elwood,

Wim's experience is different from mine.  WSU has two modified trucks (under
Steinway-Ds) which do not bow and I'll be adding this modification to another
one this summer.  We have another truck, shop-made of 1.25" square steel
tubing and similarly modified, which does not bow either (and that one is
under a Mason & Hamlin - CC which is markedly heavier that the Steinway-D).
Its not rocket science (rather simple, really) and I'm sure lots of folks out
there are using it_______________ I just haven't heard anyone else mention it
on the list.  I'll try to send photos soon instead of just describing it.

I, too, dislike the aesthetics of a wooden post in the middle of the truck
but that's just my personal bias.  I'm sure that, if done right, it can work
well and be visually unobtrusive .

There are other reasons for wanting the grand truck not to bow.
One is ease of movement.  When the truck bows, the caster wheel/floor contact
point moves from directly under the bearing race (where it is designed to be)
and the caster will resist swiveling in some directions while actually
*working* to swivel in others... making moving and steering the instrument a
less-than-smooth operation.  In certain situations, it can be a safety
concern but in all situations it adds to wear & tear on the body of the
person moving the piano.  (This condition also tends to promote premature
tire wear).

--
Regards,

Alan B. Crane, RPT