That dadgumed short SD-10

Elwood Doss, Jr. edoss@utm.edu
Wed, 7 May 2003 10:18:21 -0500

Hey guys,
Several months ago I sent an e-mail regarding our Baldwin SD-10.  One of =
the professors complained that the bottom of the keyboard is lower than =
the  7' Steinways are.  So I measured.  Here are the facts:

Baldwin SD-10:  From floor to bottom of keybed:  23 3/4"
                        From floor to top of keys:        28 1/8"
Steinway 7':  From floor to bottom of keybed:  25 1/8"
                    From floor to top of keys:  29 1/4"

It seems to me that we should raise it up at least 1 1/4" so the height =
of the keys from the floor are the same as the Steinways.  The piano =
truck does seem to bow up in the middle an inordinate amount.  Placing =
an extra leg in the center thereby allowing the weight of the piano to =
press down on the center of the truck is not a option, primarily due to =
aesthetic reasons.  I am thinking about lifting the piano off the truck =
and readjusting the bolts that hold the extensions in place, although I =
don't think this would gain us much height, if any.  The piano has been =
on this truck for 30 years, so it may be permanently bowed.  I wondered =
about placing a 1" or 1 1/4" aluminum spacer between the leg cup on the =
truck and the truck itself.  This would mean replacing the large screw =
that hold the leg cup on with a longer one.  Extending the leg with a =
wood extension is also not an option due to the castor insert (although =
I guess that could be removed, since it will never be used with the =
original wheels (I don't know where they are for that matter).  This =
professor is the only one who has complained, but he is tall so that =
would account for the problem.  Surgery on his legs is not an option =
either, I don't think.  Let me know what you think.
Joy!
Elwood=20

Elwood Doss, Jr.
Technical Director/Piano Technician