Moving Uprights on their Ends

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Fri, 2 May 2003 11:28:03 EDT

In a message dated 5/2/2003 6:53:12 AM Pacific Standard Time,
dcbrown@mail.utexas.edu writes:

> Two or three people to help would be a good
> idea.

One helper should be enough. More just makes it more likely that opposing
forces will unbalance the piano. The piano is actually very easy to steer
this way. My wife and I do it all the time. I don't think I'd recommend doing
it without one experienced person, though. That upper end has a lo-o-o-ong
way to fall.

With spinets/consoles one must be careful when upending, to keep the pressure
off the leg. This isn't too hard, as they are usually inset a little, and you
can just lift towards the back corner. The P22's have toe blocks, so it's
less of an issue.
Bob Davis