Moving Uprights on their Ends

david c. brown dcbrown@mail.utexas.edu
Fri, 2 May 2003 08:56:03 -0500

Dear Mike-

It won't be a problem. I have done this many times and it shouldn't
affect regulation. Some concerns would be-

Any detritus floating around in the case or bottom board might land
under keys / between parts and affect function-

You may want to lightly pad the end to prevent scratching. I say pad
lightly because the piano will be VERY tippy on end like this and
thick padding will only make that worse. Try to bring the dolly up to
the piano end prior to straightening out instead of letting the
weight off the piano tip it up. This helps prevent the dolly from
shifting around too much. Two or three people to help would be a good
idea.

My two cents.
David