1974 M & H B

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 06:05:38 -0600

Mason & Hamlin did make a model "B".  It was 5'4".  Their models were
a C, B, A, AA, BB, CC.  They were 5'1", 5'4", 5'8.5", 6'2", 7', & 9'.
 Someone in marketing had a sense of humor.

dave
*********** REPLY SEPARATOR ***********

On 3/18/2003 at 10:21 PM Ed Sutton wrote:
Hi, Tim!
This is encouraging. The loose pinblock is no surprise.  It will
sound better with a fitted and glued block.
I do wonder how they managed to get so many tuning pins jammed in
such a tight place in such a big piano.
Ed
----- Original Message -----
From: Tim Coates
To: College and University Technicians
Sent: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 9:46 PM
Subject: Re: 1974 M & H B

Hi Ed,

I did some checking to make sure I have my facts straight.  Tim
Geinert (Certified Wapin Installer) did a 70's MHBB like you are
talking about.  He didn't do anything to the plate as you are
talking.  He says the tuning control is all right, but not wonderful
in that area.  He used Wally Brooks' thinned shanks, would recommend
Ronson hammers (not what he put on), and installed Wapin.  The piano
is at a music school and now is considered the best piano they have.
I am going to see the piano tomorrow.  If you want to talk with  Tim
I can get you his email address.

He gave me a good bit of advice about some of the 1970's Mason &
Hamlins:  watch out for the pinblock.  Not ALL are  glued and
doweled.  This MHBB had a free floating pinblock.  It turned out the
last MHA I did from the 1930's had the same thing.   You can wedge
and glue the pinblock to the stretcher to hold it in place as the
plate comes out.

Contact me if you want his email address.  His home number is in the
directory.

Tim Coates
Wapin Company LLP

Ed Sutton wrote:

Dear List-
    Has anyone on the list had experience rebuilding big M & H's of
1970's vintage.
    A piano teacher has a 1974 B in need of serious rebuilding or
replacement.
    The action will need redesigning (there is nothing left of the
old M & H action design) , it needs a new pinblock and probably wapin
bridge pinning.
    The front bearing is ridiculously steep.  Hell to tune and ugly,
too. I'm wondering if I can grind away some of the plate or bearing
bars to reduce it.
    The agraffes stop at G#3.  I don't think this was the original B
plate design, was it?
    Despite what amounts to a rape of a once wonderful design, there
is still something magic in the sound of this instrument.
    If I do every good thing we can do for a piano, will it be a
stable, dependable instrument, or will the problems start just to the
other side of where I stop?
    I'd appreciate any words of wisdom and experience.
        Ed Sutton
David M. Porritt
dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Meadows School of the Arts