Harpsicord question

Tue, 18 Mar 2003 04:13:46 -0600

At 23:12 03/17/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>List,
>
>A student asked a question about the key coloring, the sharps being white
>and the naturals being black.
>
>Can someone direct me to
>
>1) a Journal article that explains why this was,
>(The story I heard for the inverse color scheme was it visually
>enhanced the fingers of the women who primarily played the instrument
>
>2) did the beginning pianos use this same key coloring, and if so,
>
>3) what time period did the current key coloring scheme take place.
>
>At your convenience,
>
>Keith McGavern, RPT

I think that the change came about when a machine was invented which cut
ivory. This made that material much cheaper to use.

Early 1800s, France, if my lonely braincell remembers right.
I'll try to find my notes when I get to work, if nobody else has jumped in,
that is.

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.