Re-pinning question

Phil Bondi tito@philbondi.com
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 05:58:32 -0500

..question regarding re-pinning a block..

I've always been under the understanding that if you are going to just
re-pin and re-string, you go up 2 sizes on the pins, correct?

Not always?

I have a piano in my possession that I believe could go up just one size,
from 2's to 3's, because the torque is solid across the block(70-100lbs.).
I'm afraid if I go up 2 sizes, I'll need a 12' breaker bar to tune with.

Replacing the block is not an option. This is a dealer's used piano, and he
wants minimum work for maximum return. I can't argue with his assessment of
the block..it's a Baldwin E for those of you still reading..

Suggestions? Comments? Concerns?

-Phil Bondi (Fl.)
phil@philbondi.com