OT Wanamaker pianos

Paul Kupelian pkupeli1@twcny.rr.com
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 20:08:14 -0400

            How ironic that I was just watching a program on the Ovation
Network on the organ.  It is Part 3 of Howard Goodalls program on the
development of the pipe organ.  It showed the famous Wanamaker organ =
which
is claimed to be the worlds largest at 29,000 pipes.  It also shows the
second largest housed at the Military Academy at West Point with some
20,000+ pipes and still growing.  Anyone interest in the pipe organ =
should
try to get this four part program as it is repeated quite often =
throughout
the year.

Paul

=20

-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of =
David
Forman
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2003 9:24 AM
To: College and University Technicians
Subject: RE: OT Wanamaker pianos

=20

Paul,

I live in the Philly area and have been to the Wanamaker store many =
times.
Wanamakers did sell pianos for many years, and stopped, I believe, =
around 15
years ago-could be longer. None of their pianos I have seen are special, =
and
I doubt there would be any historical value to the instrument. If any of =
you
are into historical pipe organs- Wanamakers has one of the largest pipe
organs in the country in their store. Restoration started several years =
ago,
and is still ongoing. It is a wonderful instrument!!! It is played =
everyday
at noon and 5PM, so if any of you come to Philadelphia, check it out. =
The
store is on 13th and Market, directly across from City Hall-you can't =
miss
the statue of William Penn on the top of City Hall.

Dave Forman

Westminster Choir College of Rider University