amazing, but true

Mark Cramer Cramer@BrandonU.CA
Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:05:20 -0500

This was a "first" attempt Lisa.

Denis Brassard (Banff Centre for the Arts) suggested this approach after a
recent success using Fred's (Sturm) method of resizing compressed
key-bushings (steam & Spurlock cauls).

Again, the main objective was to re-fluff the bass dampers and remove any
crusting. Too much steam and you would remove the dampers along with the
crust.

I hit the dampers "head-on" (as you would if cleaning with compressed air)
and just kept working the spray pattern around til the surface was clean.
You will soon realize just how clean they will/won't come.

I don't use anything else on the damper felt. Though the steam-cleaning did
not result in a spanking white new appearance, it fully restored function.

I was just exploring the dividing line between "reconditioning" and
replacement. In most cases it's good to bear in mind replacing bass damper
felts 'only' often gives a near "100 %" improvement.

I will try this again soon on some grand dampers.

best,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University