fire damage

Vanderhoofven dkvander@joplin.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 15:37:57 -0600

Hi Marcel,

Sorry to hear about all the fire-damaged pianos.

About a year and a half ago, I spent about an hour on the phone with Dave
Swartz, who owns Majestic Piano Co. in Minnesota.  He is a great guy,
extremely knowledgeable about smoke and fire damage of pianos.  He told me
that he did restoration work on over 100 fire damaged pianos, but is no
longer doing that work anymore.  I believe that the reason he gave was that
the work involves lots of highly toxic chemicals to counteract the smoke
particles and acids left behind after the fire.

He would be able to answer any questions you have, such as what type of
chemicals to use, special techniques and tools, and approximate repair
times.  But he no longer does the work himself.

Dave Swartz
6201 Lower 161st Street
W. Rosemount, MN 55068-1214
(952) 432-5232
swartzy@earthlink.net

Randy Potter has some instructional video tapes for his students to
borrow.  I vaguely remember that one of the tapes was on smoke-damage
restoration work.

Randy Potter
Randy Potter School of Piano Technology
61592 Orion Dr.
Bend, OR 97702
541-382-5411
randy@pianotuning.com

I hope that this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

David A. Vanderhoofven
Joplin, Missouri, USA