grand piano tilter (was piano horse, et al.)

Richard Adkins RADKINS@coe.edu
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 15:29:44 -0600

The Piano horse looks like a good way to avoid the
lyre-ability issues. But do any of you recall seeing
a one-man grand piano tilter/mover @ the KC
convention (years ago now?)...

One guy can move a concert grand with this!

I saw one of these grand piano tilters at the
Kansas City convention, but never saw another
one. I believe it was made of aluminum I-beams or
some such material. A concert grand could be
upped on its side by one man, and loaded into
a moving truck w/electric winch inside.

Once on this device it did not need to be tilted
up to insert a dolly/or board, etc.

For those you us looking to solve the grand piano
moving dilemma a device such as this might be
the answer.

All I could find on the internet was an old post below.
Perhaps it became the piano horse. The device I
describe above is quite different.
Richard

MMD  Archives  August 1997  1997.08.28  13 Prev  Next

Plans for Grand Piano Tilter
By Bob Hunt

For Terry Smythe -- I built a grand piano tilter designed very similarly
to the familiar upright piano tilter for just the reasons you described
in MMD.

It is designed to roll the piano from standing on its side, on padded
8-inch blocks, to the normal horizontal position and height where the
legs can be re-attached and the "tilter" removed from under the piano.
It is a one-man operation even with a Mason and Hamlin 6-footer!

The principle is that the center of gravity remains at about the same
height, raising only a few inches as the piano goes from on its side to
normal position.

I have plans somewhere which I will try to find for you.

Bob Hunt

(Message sent Thu 28 Aug 1997, 19:15:28 GMT, from time zone GMT-0700.)