shell-shock

Fred S. Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 07:37:28 -0700

Steve,
    A year or so ago, I posted about soaking lacquer (or keytop) out of
hammers, using troughs made of gallon thinner can corners (cut off with
tin snips to make triangular profile troughs, about an octave and a half
of hammers long). Dipping the hammers into the troughs filled with a mix
of acetone and lacquer thinner, letting sit, swishing, discarding,
blotting with paper towel; then doing same again. Worked wonders. I
highly recommend the process (especially in preference to drenching with
whatever solvent, letting it run over the tails). It'll get you awfully
close to pristine hammers.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico