shell-shock

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:09:14 -0800

Hi Steve,

I second John's advice.  I prefer not to use lacquer for heavy duty =
hardening, but only for a quick (easily removable) "skin" for emergency =
touch-ups, using acetone to take it into the hammer a bit & keep it from =
getting zingy on the crown.  But that's another topic that nobody wants =
to talk about.  :-)

I find better results from an acetone & keytops mixture.  Quicker =
results (faster drying) more predictable, better voicing control/needle =
penetration, lends itself to repeat doping if necessary, etc.  I start =
with a lighter solution (say 1 keytop to 6-8 oz. of acetone), since the =
acetone allows for repeated application, & for some reason, the plastic =
in the keytop seems to disperse more evenly without making a rock out of =
the hammer.  Kind of like the difference between voicing a golf ball =
with or without the plastic cover on.  One could assume that half a set =
of keytops in a set of hammers would create all sorts of voicing =
challenges, not to mention the extra weight, plus that of all the =
needles you would leave in them.  Last spring I dug about 20 needles out =
of a set of hammers that I was filing -- looked like a lawn full of =
gophers until I went over them again.  Fortunately it came out sounding =
okay for the quality of piano it was.  Unfortunately, it needs voicing =
again, so I may try a shot of vodka.  If it doesn't work on the hammers, =
I'll give some to the pianists so they don't notice how bright it is.  =
:-)

Anyway, you should be able to soak the lacquer farther in toward the =
moulding with acetone, but it may take several applications to soften it =
up.  Just make sure you have plenty of ventilation (probably not the =
campus smoking pit) or you may have touble finding your way home.

Otto

----- Original Message -----=20