S&S Hammers

Richard West rwest1@unl.edu
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 09:20:38 -0600

S&S hammers:  facts or rumors?

1.  Hamburg Steinway concert grands now have a lower plate height which
matches the rest of the the Hamburg Steinway models.  Therefore, Hamburg
hammers do no fit on New York D's.  I ran into this last summer because
we have a New York D, fitted with Hamburg parts (Renner).  It was a C&A
piano (the parts must have been put on in the basement of Steinway
Hall).   We bought it before it made it back to NY from Aspen a couple
of years ago.  I wasn't involved in the purchase (the hammers were
already pretty far gone by the time we got the instrument; they even
included a free set of hammers with the purchase).  The piano faculty
liked the piano the way it was but the Hamburg hammers I got with the
piano were way too short.  I hung them anyway with good results, but the
geometry is off.

2.  Steinway designs it's action geometry so that the hammers should
over center.  The idea is that on a hard blow the shank flexes so much
that when the hammer hits, it will be at 90 degrees to the string.  On a
soft blow, however, the hammer will overcenter.  Has anyone heard
anything about this?  It's news to me.  There seems to be some logic to
it, but it's hard for me to believe Steinway assembly processes  will
produce consistent adherence to the design specs.  I've seen hammer
centerlines on Steinways and some of them ain't pretty.

3.  How can you dope the shoulders of a hammer and not have it wick
across the crown?  My experience is that if you don't get enough dope on
the first application, you may never get the piano out of the mellow
range.  Not enough dope creates what Steinway calls a "shell" that
prevents penetration of second or third applications of laquer if it is
needed.  At least this is what they claim in the recent tech sheet that
was sent out from Steinway to techs around the country.  Any comment on
that publication?

Richard West, U of NE