words technical

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 23:05:11 EST

.  Hi Ed

     The pre juicing of factory hammers is old news to be sure and its OK up
the thin line one doesn't wish to crossover but it would be nice if more
quality control were possible. I don't think it is. I'm working with a S&S D
 and an L both with new boards etc. The D hammers were very heavy. 12.9 grams
to start at note 1, note 40 about 9.5 to start. I have new set of keys in
each with dialed in key leverages otherwise I'd be installing  shanks with 17
mm knuckles. The D hammers had some nice round sound note 1 thru 52 then they
got more wooly then the last octave was really dull. Top octave and half got
a total 3 to 1 saturation of lacquer. they sound fine.  Everything got a
soaking. The low bass monos got 3 to 1, bichords 6 to 1 , Tenor about 6 to 1.
Ist capo 3 to one. I've got enough punch and noise to needle back some The
top three hammers I just dunked in a 1 to 1 solution. Now they sound fine as
well.
      It's obvious that the hammers are fairly well juiced out of the box
which can be determined by sticking a needle here and there.  I think the
answer to your question about voicing stability is usage. How much, how hard.
Acoustics ,desires. Ed  I  know you've been round this track before.
  I think the answer for me would be to bore three hammers when they come in.
Note 16, 40 and 64. This is probably all we need to know. Listen to them. Hey
if there over juiced Plug the holes send them go back. Why should we pay for
defective products. Yes I consider that defective especially at 400 bucks a
pop.
  The L hammers  were no problem. Reasonable amounts of lacquer. When there
right they're really good and when there bad well....
       Best---Dale Erwin