after ring revisited

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 20:35:58 EST

Our mezzo is giving a recital this evening, with the accompanist, who is not
a member of the faculty here, using our new D. This afternoon, after tuning
the piano, I went home, because I'm sick with the flu and a bronchial
condition. At 7 o'clock, the mezzo calls me, and says the low D on the piano
is "funky" and could I come and fix it. I drive to school, (which is 15
minutes away), and meet with the accompanist. He says last piece ends with a
loud d chord, and the low D continues to ring on. I play the note, and guess
what? The damper stops the note, but it is the overtones that are continuing
to ring, for at least 1.5 seconds. I tell him there is nothing wrong, and
it's supposed to be that way. He says he has never heard it that loud and
that long before on other pianos. I went over to our other D, and played the
same note, with the same intensity, and had the same result, just to prove to
him that they all sound that way.

So if there is nothing wrong, and it's supposed to be that way, how do I
explain that there is nothing wrong to an accomplished musician?

Wim
Univ. of Alabama.

I'm going home to bed now.