Gamelan Tunings

Fred S. Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:29:11 -0700

    If you can't come up with definite instructions for the particular
piece, my advice would be to simply leave the piano in equal
temperament. Harrison was fond of a wide variety of tunings (actually,
virtually anything _but_ equal temperament), particularly various
pentatonic scales and "just" intonation (by which he, like Harry
Partsch, meant whole number ratios; which, unfortunately, often leaves a
bunch of questions unanswered for us practical tuners). But he also
favored historic temperaments for keyboard instruments - in a forward to
an edition of pieces for harpsichord or piano, he listed a few he
thought would be appropriate.
    One of the problems with just intonation, whether pentatonic or 12
tones or whatever, is that you need to know what is the "base" note to
start from. Start from the wrong one, and you'll be way off. And, of
course, if you're dealing with gamelan style instruments, you really
don't know what that pitch might be until you have the actual instrument
that will be played in the room with you (and even then, it's a bit hit
and miss - which partial is it you should focus on? how hard and with
what sort of mallet do you hit it?) Enormous can of worms.
    So why ruin the stability of your instrument (temporarily) on a wild
goose chase that might be nowhere near what is desired?
Regards,
Fred Sturm