New Bostons

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 15:29:22 -0800

At 12:53 PM 1/26/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>     I do it when the pianos are starting to sound harsh. Not just when I
>can start to see grooves (which really happens almost next day). But once
>they are deeply grooved, you can't really use the technique until you file.
>Steam will expand the non-grooved areas so they tend to damp the string as
>they rebound, and you can't iron successfully.
>     In a practice room, it might be around once a semester or so. Depends
>on use level. And then file when the grooving is deep enough that steam and
>ironing doesn't bring it back.
>Fred

I also found that when I steamed, I got a ridge at either end of the string
grooves, where the felt was compressed instead of having worn off. I never
tried to iron the ridges back down, but just filed them off.

This is another reason why I prefer using vodka in the string grooves to
using even focussed steam. I don't find those ridges are nearly the problem
with vodka that they are with steam, partly because I can put the vodka
right in the middle of the grooves. And of course I don't need an electrical
outlet, and I don't risk getting burned. For me, it's easier to keep a
little bottle of vodka in a ziploc bag than to carry a hammer iron and
cord and cloth.

Just my preference.

Susan