New Bostons

Phil Bondi tito@philbondi.com
Sun, 26 Jan 2003 14:47:40 -0500

Dave, my suggestion is to try it on a vertical first.

It's my opinion that you will quickly learn how to maneuver the iron to
where you want it steam to go. I use an old handkerchief as my 'linen'. Get
it wet almost to the point of it being 'dripping wet', or dripping wet and
then wring it out. It's important that there's enough water in the linen for
the iron to do its job.

Doing this on a grand for the first time is asking for trouble, in my
opinion.

Pick a vertical piano with worn hammers, but not to the point of
replacement. Take one hammer in the tenor section and try it. Play the
steamed hammer and then a few around it. You should notice a difference
pretty quickly. Easy does it, Dave.

>From there, let your experience work with the hammers as far as re-shaping
and additional voicing/steaming/needling.

I think you'll be pleaseantly suprised how quickly you can voice an entire
set of worn hammers to sound pretty musical again.

-Phil Bondi (Fl.)
phil@philbondi.com