Baldwin Action Problem

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 17:59:50 -0500

I've just been puzzling over a 1980's SF-10.
It is a very good sounding Baldwin, made in the Conway factory.
BUT, there is an action problem.
When dip is set to a standard block (Steinway), there is very excessive =
aftertouch.
The owner says it has always been like this.
When I lower the capstans to decrease aftertouch, the shanks knock on =
the repetition lever regulating screw.
The only choice is excessive aftertouch or shallow dip.=20
The prof. does a lot of performing, so he wants standard keydip on his =
practice instrument.
Something is wrong with this instrument.  Possibly the string height is =
low, and they let it go?
I could shorten the hammer bore distance...or just file down the =
hammers?
Is there some regulation, shimming or rail adjustment I'm missing?
Thank you.
Ed Sutton