New Bostons

Tim Coates tcoates@dtgnet.com
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 19:02:15 -0600

I'd think twice about using steam.  I have stopped using it unless it is
a drastic situation.  I have noticed that some of the pianos I steamed a
few years ago sounded great for about a year.  Now the bass notes are on
the thuddy side.  The resilience is gone from the hammers.

I have started using a 2 ounce spray bottle with half water, half
rubbing alcohol and 5 drops of unscented fabric softener.  You spray on
as much as you want and the results are instant.   Try a little at a
time to get a feel.

Contrary to what Wim has said I feel this a much safer voicing tool.  It
works great on concert instruments when you want to take the edge of fast.

Tim Coates
Wapin Company LLP