Gamelan Tunings

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:54:37 -0800

Unless these things are incredibly well crafted, I think you will find the tuning anything but "standard", even within the prescribed tunings/tempraments.  I would doubt that in the final analysis there will be little to be gained by investing a great deal of worry in the process.  Do your homework, tune your best, & let the gamelan sound where it may.  Where/how it is struck, mallets used, etc., will alter the pitch significantly from its original, out-of-tune state, so I don't think I'd sweat it much.  Chock it up to creative dissonance. :-)

Otto
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mitch Staples
  To: College and University Technicians
  Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 10:04 AM
  Subject: Gamelan Tunings

  In a couple of weeks I will be tuning a piano that will be used in a concerto for piano with Javanese Gamelan composed by Lou Harrison.  I understand that there are at least two standard tunings (I assume they mean temperaments) for Javanese Gamelan, Slendro and Pelog.  I was supposed to get instructions for this special tuning but it looks like I'm going to have to wing it.

  Has any one tuned for this piece?

  Any suggestions?

  Mitch Staples