after ring

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 09:33:01 +0100

Hello,

I've been made careful about needling the front side of the shoulders
less than the back, as on forte blow, the front side of the striking
zone and hammer is more solicited because of the flexing of the
shanks.

Too much needling the front mean loosing power at forte level then.

Do you mean that you install a softening zone only near the striking
zone (not deep) ?

I noticed that on grand's voiced with more needling on the front near
the crown, it is not possible to have that crystal ringing quality in
the attack, the tone will stay matte always , even if power is
conserved. Of course if a lot of unwanted noises are present that
should be a better option that muting the capo , but I was told of the
use of little rubber wedges (a few mm tall) to dampen the extra noisy
strings, often because of surface problems in capo or hammer.
Some techs shim a little bushing red felt around the 3 strings, since
they can fix the problem more definitively.
On concert pianos I was told 3 rubber wedges are considered maximum,
after that reshape the strike and level strings. These little black
rubbers are hardly noticed when pushed almost under the capo.

Best wishes to all, I was off for sometime.

Regards.

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos et pianos de concert.

PianoTech
17 rue de Choisy
94400 VITRY sur SEINE
FRANCE