after ring

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 19:13:32 -0600

>I have seen little pieces of felt at the front terminations(Octaves 5 and 6
>mostly) on some B's around here.
>

>My guess is there's some unwanted noise coming from this section, and this
>is their technicians way of dampening the sound.

Yup.

>Does anyone else here do this, or is this something that I am privlidged
>to see?
>
>-Phil Bondi (Fl.)

I don't DO this, but I have DONE it. Take the example of the dull sounding
B. How much time would you like to spend trying to eliminate a nasty duplex
sound on one isolated note in a piano that generally sounds that bad? In my
case, not much, and I don't carry "white" glue. For the most part, the
sundry duplex whistles, doinks, shrieks, and yeows get ignored if there are
no specific complaints.

Ron N