after ring

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:39:55 -0800

At 03:16 PM 1/13/2003 -0500, Wim wrote:
>Subsequently, when I tuned the piano a day or two later, I paid more
>attention to the problem. I found that it was e6, G#6 and b6 that were
>sounding the most. I could hear the other notes, but not as audible.
>
>The after ring is not loud. In fact, it is something you have to listen
>for and it is not something that can be heard in the audience. Therefore,
>I'm going to leave the piano alone.  I'm not too concerned that one
>student noticed. When faculty members start complaining, I will try to do
>something about it. But even before I do that, I will try to convince them
>this is a natural phenomenon of the piano. (as David pointed out in anther
>post to me, it's kind of like discovering there are no dampers in the 7th
>or 8th octaves.)

Wim, I finally went back and read all the earlier posts in this thread.

Didn't anyone suggest checking the backlength wrapping down in the longest
tenor strings?

I've had to add extra wrap down there (keybushing cloth worked well for me)
to two long grands to prevent what sounded like a bad damper or two in the
6th octave (but wasn't a damper, because they still would ring with my
finger on the speaking length of the notes.)

The first time this happened, it sort of came and went a bit, and I ignored it
a long time, and put it off. Then it got too bad to ignore, and I had someone
play the offending note while I wandered around the piano. I put my hand on
the tenor backlength area and it went away like magic. Try plucking the
backlength
of those long tenor strings, and see how much sound you get, and on what
pitches.

The first time I tried to deal with this, I went overboard, and wrapped the
whole backlength area firmly, almost to middle C. The piano sounded muffled
and unhappy. So I took it out tried again, being much more moderate, but
paying attention to those extremely long backlengths in the very bottom of
the tenor.

Susan