after ring

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:16:01 EST

In a message dated 1/13/03 12:44:28 PM Central Standard Time,=20
davidskolnik@optonline.net writes:

> This is a 1 (one) year old piano, ..well within any warrantee.   How  woul=
d=20
> the dialogue read if you try to obtain dealer / manufacturer  input BEFORE=
 =20
> reshaping the capo?   and  AFTER ?  =20
>=20
>=20

First of all, thanks for all of the suggestions.=20

I did write to Steinway, and this is the response back from David Kirkland.=20=
"
After-ring in the 7th octave is okay; it means that the soundboard is=20
resonating well in that area, and you have a lively piano, which is good.=
=A0 It=20
shouldn't be objectionable, but the only thing I can think of that will=20
influence it is the tuning in the 7th octave.=A0 Rarely, I think, do tuners=20
give enough attention to tuning the 7th octave.=A0 Perhaps if the 7th octave=
=20
were tuned better, the after-ring would improve or diminish.=A0 And who's to=
=20
say that pianists don't use the 7th octave much.=A0 As a pianist, I like the=
=20
7th octave so much that I have my own name for it; I call it "the toy"=20
(piano)."

Subsequently, when I tuned the piano a day or two later, I paid more=20
attention to the problem. I found that it was e6, G#6 and b6 that were=20
sounding the most. I could hear the other notes, but not as audible.=20

The after ring is not loud. In fact, it is something you have to listen for=20
and it is not something that can be heard in the audience. Therefore, I'm=20
going to leave the piano alone.  I'm not too concerned that one student=20
noticed. When faculty members start complaining, I will try to do something=20
about it. But even before I do that, I will try to convince them this is a=20
natural phenomenon of the piano. (as David pointed out in anther post to me,=
=20
it's kind of like discovering there are no dampers in the 7th or 8th=20
octaves.)

Wim =20
=A0