after ring

Mary C. Smith MarySmith@mail.utexas.edu
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 07:46:52 -0700

>  A student left me a note complaining about an after ring on our Recital
Hall 1 year old B. I went to check it out, and sure enough in the 6th
octave, when notes are release, there is a definite after ring. If I hold my
finger on the string, it is still there.

Have you checked the notes below the ringing note that have that note in
their partial series? This is often the problem, particularly the tricords
in the tenor range just above the break. Ask me how I know... Fix the lower
damper and the upper ringing will go away.