after ring

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 16:06:55 EST

A student left me a note complaining about an after ring on our Recital Hall
1 year old B. I went to check it out, and sure enough in the 6th octave, when
notes are release, there is a definite after ring. If I hold my finger on the
string, it is still there. The dampers are seated, and there is enough follow
through. I found that if I damper out the undampened 7th octave notes, the
after ring is gone. So the sound I'm hearing is the 7th octave ringing
through.

I've never really noticed it before. But now that it has been brought to my
attention, it is very distinctive. Apparently the strident thinks so too.

Is this just a normal phenomenon on Steinway B's, or is there something that
can be done to eliminate this problem?

Wim