tuning cost

Nichols nicho@cybermesa.com
Mon, 06 Jan 2003 22:05:13 -0700

At 06:42 PM 1/6/2003 -0800, you wrote:

>....why are you not yet an RPT?  (That's rhetorical, by the way.  You need
>not feel any compunction to explain to me or anyone else on this list.)
>Having been one of the authors developing the 1st technical exam, I know
>these exams test basic,entry-level skills & should be a breeze for someone
>like yourself.  The standardization of the tests takes a lot of the
>subjectivity out of them, but if you don't trust the locals to give you a
>fair exam, it can easily be taken at a regional or national convention.
>Take the opportunity to grab the bull by the tail & look him in the face!
>;-)
>
>Otto

Very good points, Otto, especially the "rhetorical" part. But,  (and again
there is no intention to be confrontational or put anyone on the
defensive), myself and others have helped institutional procurement people
by educating them on the existence (and roll) of the only organization in
the U.S. that has ANY standardized acknowledgement of a piano techs'
abilities. The PTG, of course, and the classification of RPT. To the point
where requests and bids and stage contract riders, etc., have a preference
for "RPT" level. The Guild has invested a lot in that effort, also. So...
well... each to his own, however well qualified he/she is, compared to
anyone else, or not. Just do it. Support the "professionalization" of our
field. The really is no reason not to, and lots of good reasons TO do. IMNSHO

Later,
Guy Nichols, RPT

"Hey neighbor! Can I borrow your lawn mower?"

   "Nope."

"Why not? I've borrowed it for two years, now, and we've never had a problem."

   "Yeah, well.... we're having soup tonight. So... no."

"WHAT!?! What the heck has SOUP got to do with it?!?"

   "Nothing, really. But.. I needed an excuse.... and ANY excuse is ANY
excuse."