tuning cost

Nichols nicho@cybermesa.com
Mon, 06 Jan 2003 10:06:07 -0700

At 06:30 PM 1/5/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>>. What is you standard "outside" fee?
>
>$125.
>
>>Seems like $40 per is low, but.... how do we define "tuning", right?
>
>smile when you say that :-)
Okay. %^)>  Big grin for ya, but the question is valid, in a
non-confrontational way. There's "tuning", and there's tune and minor
adjust/repair/voice, etc. The difference can mean quite a bit in the
civilian sector, not so much in an institution.

>Formerly a non budgeted school for maintenance aside from semi annual tunings.

Been there, done that. "Tuning is like putting gas in your car."

>I don't look at it from a 'low bidder' point of view.

Not my choice, either. Just happens to be a contract, and a state school,
so they have to put it out to bid. I'm still not the lowest bidder, but
they do have a little lee-way when checking qualifications.

>I look at it as my contribution to community service
>since this is a non-profit organization.

Like I said before, whatever floats your boat. When I was a dealer, and had
the service contract, and hosted loaner programs and sales, I gave
thousands of dollars to the department. Then, I waited (forever) for my
little service check to come in. Another big grin%^)......

>   Besides, there are no bids to contend with, I'm the best qualified
>in the area (including RPT's, lowly associate me).
>
>Sorry for my rant but your post put me a little on the defensive.

Not my intention. The one point I failed to make was that they will pay a
fair price. If you charge more, you can give back more.

"Whether it's American Airlines or Air Vietnam... when the oxygen mask
falls from the ceiling, put yours on first... THEN help the person next to
you."
                         anon

>All the best,
>
>Jon Page
and to you, too, Jon

Guy Nichols, RPT

               "Not everything that counts can be counted,
                and not everything that can be counted counts."
                                                           Albert Einstein