Yama-help, s.v.p.!

James A Busby jab367@email.byu.edu
Sat, 04 Jan 2003 12:20:31 -0700 (MST)

We had a similar problem with a Hamburg D. Protek CLP seemed to make it better
for an hour or two, then it became worse! Sizing, or fitting the balance rail
holes also worked temporarily, but fast repetitions of any key made the squeak
sing again, until it "cooled off" (for lack of a better term). Imagine having
multiple complaints about "squeaks" on a premier concert instrument and when you
come to the piano it's not there! Finally we tried fast reps., and voila, the
squeak appeared. We then cleaned the balance rail hole with one or two light
insertions of a sleeve of fine sandpaper (you're just cleaning, not removing
wood) which came out slightly blackened. No more problems after nearly 3 months.
It appears that "CLP" (Cleaner-Lubricant-Protectant) may have cleaned the pins
because they didn't show residue when polished, but dirt, etc. seems to collect
in the wood at the balance rail hole. Up until now I've used CLP on balance rail
bushings without hestitation, but if the balance rail hole is not properly sized
AND cleaned it may aggravate other problems.
Jim Busby RPT