Harpsichord hitch pin loop

Donald McKechnie dmckech@ithaca.edu
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 07:36:59 -0800

List,

Way back when at North Bennet Street School, Bill Garlick had a nifty
machine to make loops for harpsichord wire. He may have gotten the idea
from the Dowd shop but I'm not sure. Sorry, my details are sketchy, it
has been a while. Obviously this is better suited for a shop than on the
road.

Start with a hand drill, remove the hand crank and replace with a pulley
wheel. Mount the drill on a bench and manufacture or purchase a hook for
the chuck. Manufacture a spring loaded pedal, with a pulley wheel, and
place securely on the floor. Mount a rope or other appropriate material
on to the pulley wheels. Presto! you have a nice looping machine. It
only takes a little practice to make some nice, consistent loops.

Don McKechnie